We need your help and ideas!
Groups, Clubs or Activities @ South MS
Before and after school activities will be listed here during the course of the year with the bulleted items directly below as CURRENT ACTIVITIES. There is also an activities calendar below for parents/students to use.
- NEW 10/3/19: Open gym Basketball for 6th & 7th grade students begins October 11. Parents must sign up online here: SMS Basketball Group
- NEW 9/27/19: A magic club is starting October 2nd. It is a place for students to show off their magical skills. Magicians can take turns showing off their tricks, learn new tricks, and talk about magic. This will be held every Wednesday that is not an early out. We will start at 3:00 in the library and finish between 3:30 and 4:00. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
- SMS JUNIOR SILVER CORD has started! More information can be found here.
- Geography Bee first meeting was the week of Sep 9! We will continue to meet on Tuesday mornings at 7:20am in Mrs. Holeman’s room until the end of January when we will hold the school competition.
- Chess Club will began Tuesday (9/17) morning at 7:15a in Mr. Poppinga’s (7 Purple) room. This will take place each Tuesday and is open to any SMS student and Mr. Poppinga can host up to 24 students so first come, first serve. Students/parents can sign up here.
- There is interest in starting a club at SMS for the trading card game Magic: The Gathering (MTG). (This is not for slight of hand/hocus pocus magic!) The club is free to join, and all skill levels are welcome. We will spend time each week in the library teaching players how to play the game. The club is planning to meet every Thursday (staring 9/19) after school until 4:15 . While encouraged, attendance every week is not required to be a part of the club. Students can bring their own cards/deck, or they can borrow a deck. The club will be limited to 32 students. If your student is interested in joining please complete the following survey. https://forms.gle/oNV46Hzg5xdfrXfk7. If you have questions feel free to contact the sponsoring parent, Tom at Tom3DC@gmail.com
- Do you want to be NOTICED? Do you want the neighbors to talk about you? Then, do it with style! Let’s go “theme running.” Mrs. Schilb is looking for 20 students to join her in dressing up ( theme choice TBD) and running for fun. This “Run for Fun” Club will meet twice a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays after school from 3:00-4:00p.m. We will create a 1 mile, 2 mile, or 5K path and see how long we can keep moving, while the neighbors try to figure out what’s going on. All you need are some good running shoes, a water bottle, music if you wish, and some crazy ideas. Get out and have “theme” fun! SIGN UP HERE. FIRST meeting will be an informational and them idea gathering meeting next Tuesday (Sept. 17) and then we will start running Thursday, September 19. Questions…email Mrs. Schilb at email@example.com
- Is your chid interested in spending more time with math?! Have them join the Math Counts team at South Middle School! Math Counts is a national program that South has participated in since the building opened. It gives students more exposure and interaction with math of all types. It is for ALL 6th and 7th grade students who are interested in math fun! Math Counts begins Wednesday, September 25th and will meet every Wednesday from 7:00-7:45 through January. Students will sign up during the first meeting in Mrs. Kuehl’s room (7 gold pod). More information here. – Coaches Mrs. Kuehl and parents: Chervenka, and Brown.
- 7th Grade Jazz band begins October 1. Rehearsals are Tuesday and Friday mornings from 7:00 AM -7:55 AM. Students must be in 7th grade band to participate in jazz band. More information can be found on this page.
- 7th GRADE ONLY: Drama Troupe will started on Tuesday, September 10th from 3-4 in the drama room. This is open to all 7th graders. We will meet weekly. No need to sign up, just come when you can to play improv games and share your love of all things theatre! Students may join at any time. Questions? contact Ashley McGrath, 6th/7th Speech and Drama (515) 987-3222 ext. 2407 firstname.lastname@example.org
- FIRST LEGO League season will begin the last week of September. FLL participants engage in programming an autonomous robot to score points on a themed playing field. Students learn to apply science, technology, engineering, and math concepts (STEM), plus a big dose of imagination, to solve a problem they have identified. soon. To sign up, click here.
- Disney Club: Come hang out with other Disney fans with games, videos and other fun activities. Meet in Mrs. Bobier’s room #605 (6th Gold Pod) from 3-4pm on the 2nd Thursday of each month. No sign up necessary.
- Hyperstream: Hyperstream will have their first informational meeting after school on Thursday, September 12th, 2019 in Computer Lab 330 from 3-4pm. We will meet on Thursdays during the school year with a focus on Coding specifically.
- A student Gay/Straight Alliance (GSA) will be held in Ms. Smith’s room (710) Fridays right after school. This club is for students who want to build support for/with and learn more about the LGBTQ+ community. It is also a place to share experiences and create a space for open conversation. No sign-up needed. Just talk to your parents about getting a ride at 3:30p and show up!
- Warrior Writers: Sign-up is now closed, but if you signed up, meet this Thursday at 3:10 in Mrs. Snicker’s room (room 305 in 6 Purple Pod).
- Art Workshops: If you are interested in some before school art classes please sign up on Ludwig’s website. mrsludwigart.weebly.com They are held on Thursday mornings before school starting at 7:15. First workshop is on September 6th.
- SMS Student Library Team: If you’re interested in joining the the Library Team, see Mrs. Reinhold in the library. You will help with book displays, shelving books, book recommendations, etc.
- South MS’s Autism support group, Puzzle Pieces, will get underway in October. If you would like more information for your student, please email email@example.com The group plans to meet during Advisory on Friday mornings.
Other South MS Activities
- Show Choir (7th gr) – visit Mrs. Ghelf’s blog or contact her for more information.
- Auditions will be September 26 or 27 from 7:00 – 7:45 am
- Meets Mondays & Thursdays from 7:00 am – 7:55 am in choir room
- 7th Grade Musical [Feb-Apr] – visit the Waukee activities page.
- 6th Grade Play [Dec-Feb] – visit the Waukee activities page.
Other/future activities at SMS…
Groups from 2018-19 that may continue…more information coming!
- Ping Pong and Basketball – Students will play ping-pong and basketball after school. Students will build relationships and community with each other. Led by South Middle School Teacher, Gary Poppinga. Total cost is only $5 for all 6 sessions.
- SMS Student Library Team: If you’re interested in joining the first EVER Student Library Team, please sign up in the library. You will help with book displays, book fair setup, shelving books, book recommendations, etc. We will meet the first week of September to talk about common meeting times and get started!
2019-20 Leadership Advisory Opportunities
September 20, 2019 – Students have lots of leadership opportunities as South. There are four advisories that work on various activities throughout the year – Ambassadors, SWAT, Art Leaders, and Yearbook. Our current 6th graders can apply for 1 or all of the leadership opportunities and will be notified of their placement later in September. You can learn more information HERE.
- Ambassador Application
- Art Leaders Application
- Yearbook Advisory Application
- S.W.A.T. Application
6th Ambassadors – This group of students meet with Dr. Ferchen during Advisory time and engage in a number of activities such as: giving tours of the school to new students and their families; leading interactive and exciting assemblies; share learning with other Advisories through public speaking and/or creating videos; promote the College and Career Readiness Skills standards; interact with students socially (at lunch, before/after school); and much more!
S.W.A.T. stands for “Students Working to Advance Technology” – This group of students meet with Mr. Dohlman and are responsible for the video/T.V. announcements, supporting computer labs, other technology related support needed by teachers and students, and bringing new and inventive ways to use technology throughout the building.
Yearbook Advisory – This group of students is a mix of 6th/7th graders who meet with Mrs. Ghelf and will take pictures, cover events/assemblies and help design the yearbook that all students and families may purchase and receive at the end of the school year.
Art Leaders – Art Leaders exist to promote and integrate art into daily life here art at South Middle. We will EXPLORE and cultivate our own passions while we learn about and create art and how others create art as well. We will CONNECT with our community by bringing our artwork to them and helping others share what they are creating by displaying artwork on campus and in the community. We will LEAD by becoming employable artists for individuals and groups within the South School Community and help bring awareness to the awesome diversity that South has to offer.