Waukee Summer Book Club
Come join us this summer as we EXPLORE culturally relevant books for ourselves, our classrooms and our community while we CONNECT with other educators, parents and community members with the goal for you to LEAD others in conversation and action within your sphere of influence! Sign up here!
Deadline is Wednesday, May 22.
What is this?
To start, participants will choose 3 fiction books from a list of Project Lit books and educators may also choose to be a part of a common read: We Got This! by Cornelius Minor. Through either face to face book club meetings this summer or an online option, participants will meet together to discuss the books.
Do I have to do it all?
We are going to provide participants with different levels of participation. When you sign up, you will indicate which level you’d like to do this summer:
- Waukee Staff Level I – Professional Study: Commit to: We Got This book study, read & discuss 3 fiction books; meet 3-4 times (online or in person); create an action plan for your classroom, team, building or community. This option is open to anyone; South MS teachers doing this level can submit 4 hours of teacher quality pay.
- Waukee Staff Level II – Summer Book Club: Read & discuss 3 fiction books; meet 3-4 times (online or in person)
- Parent/Community Summer Book Club: Open to any parent/community member. Read & discuss 3 fiction books; meet 3-4 times (online or in person)
Summer Meet Up Times: (Tentative)
Sign Up Deadline: Wednesday, May 22
|Date||Online Option||In person|
|Tuesday, June 11th||Virtual Meeting/See Saw Sharing (link to come)||Location/time TBD|
|Monday, June 24th||Meet Up & Book Swap (location/time to come)|
|Tuesday, July 9th||Twitter Chat! #SMSBookClub||Location/time TBD|
|Monday, July 29th||Book Club Round Up
Facebook or Blog Post?
What books can I choose from?
We will be using the middle grade Project Lit books from the current year and the upcoming year. List HERE.
Where do I get the books?
A survey form will be sent to all participants
- SMS staff – the school will be ordering/paying for these books when we finalize choices. You may keep them for your CLASSROOM library or donate them to the SMS library to be added to the circulation or bookroom.
- Other Waukee staff – you will pick the 3 books and you/your building would be responsible for obtaining the books
- SMS Parents or Community members – There will be two options: (1) purchase on own, keep or donate the books to the school at the end of the summer; (2) have SMS purchase books & donate them to a teacher of your choice at the end of the summer.
What is Project Lit?
Project Lit is a national, grassroots LITeracy movement, a network of dedicated teachers and students who are committed to increasing access to culturally relevant books and promoting a love of reading in our schools and communities. Project Lit commits to working together to:
- Empower students as READERS and LEADERS in their school and community.
- Flood our schools and communities with high-quality, culturally relevant books.
- Champion & celebrate reading daily.
- Inspire and support educators through sharing of lesson plans, resources, strategies, and book recommendations.
- Create opportunities for students to connect with peers around the country.
- Advocate for policies & practices that will help our students become lifelong leaders.