Weekly Planning document – This document is shared with students each Monday so they can enter the ‘big rocks’ for the upcoming week into their planner/calendar. Parents should ask their child about this and take a look at their planner each week.
Daily Announcements – this is what our students hear at the end of each day.
Upcoming ISASP Information for Parents
The week of April 29, South Middle School will be giving the Iowa Statewide Assessment of Student Progress (ISASP) to students in both 6th and 7th grades. ISASP is the new state assessment that has replaced the Iowa Assessments (or Iowa Basic Skills), as Iowa’s main state accountability test for all students. Testing dates and times are:
- Monday, April 29 Math Test 8:35-10:10 *Students should bring a basic, four function calculator if possible. No graphing calculator or cell phone.
- Tuesday, April 30 Reading Test 8:15-10:10
- Thursday, May 2 Language/Writing Test 8:15-10:33
Notable changes between the ISASP and the Iowa Assessments include:
- Just so you know… during ISASP, we will ask students to leave phone and watches in the locker or at home. Student may bring a book to the classroom.
- A writing component of two long-answer questions, about three paragraphs each.
- Short answer questions in both reading and math to explain answers/reasoning.
- The assessments are untimed.
- The ISASP is aligned with the Iowa Core Standards, providing clear and accurate assessment of student learning outcomes.
As with all assessment, parents should encourage their students to:
- get a good night’s sleep
- eat a healthy breakfast
- come fully prepared to engage and participate to the best of their ability
- Please try to avoid absences during this time. If your student has to be absent, we will schedule a time for them to make-up the assessment as soon as possible.
- All personal electronic devices including cell phones, smart watches, tablets, etc. will not be permitted in the testing rooms. We encourage students to leave them at home for their safety.
Thank you for your help in preparing your student for their ISASP assessments. If you are interested in learning more about ISASP you can visit the Pearson link here: http://iowa.pearsonaccessnext.com/
Ongoing Information for Parents
Box Tops – To reach our $3,000 goal bring in your box tops, every box top counts! Students will be entered into a raffle drawing for prizes on a monthly basis. We will be using the funds to purchase technology for our classrooms. Please turn in before they expire!
Are you new to the Waukee schools this year?
Please complete the “New to Waukee” survey today.
Remember our dismissal time on early out days will be at 12:58 pm
Transportation-Busing Students are not allowed to ride a different bus home with another student. For example, Johnny can not ask his friend Joey to ride the bus home with him if Joey is not assigned to that bus.
Lost and Found Items