- Makerspace –We will meet the 3rd Thursday of each month from 3 P.M – 4 P.M. Bring your problem solving skills to innovate and create. We will have a variety of activities each time to try something new and creative. Some activities are limited and they will vary from event to event with a few exceptions. Each Monday before the event, please fill out this form by clicking on this link: MAKERSPACE SIGNUP
How can you help?
1. Donate any of these items (list here).
2. Volunteer at any of our events (email firstname.lastname@example.org)
Parents or Community: Want to help? After you read through our description and information below as to what a makerspace is, please consider helping us put our definitions, vision and ideas into action!
What is MakerSpace?
A MakerSpace is a place at SMS where curious learners gather…
- to create, invent, tinker, explore, serve and discover using a variety of tools and materials.
- to share resources and knowledge, work on projects, network, and build.
- to “mash-up” different content knowledge/learning that allows makers and projects to integrate these different kinds of skills, standards and theories.
At South Middle School, we believe in providing opportunities for students to be innovative, creative and inquisitive throughout their school day and lives.
We will define CREATIVITY as the use of one’s imagination to solve problems or situations—call it applied imagination.
We will define INNOVATION as a fundamentally different way of doing things that result in considerably better, and perhaps different, outcomes. Innovation is putting that creativity into practice – call it applied creativity.”
We will define INQUIRY as not so much seeking the right answer — because often there is none — but rather seeking appropriate resolutions to questions and issues. Inquiry implies emphasis on the development of inquiry skills and the nurturing of inquiring attitudes or habits of mind that will enable individuals to continue the quest for knowledge throughout life.