SOUTH MIDDLE SCHOOL 2018-19 PARENT NIGHTS
Sep 5: Walk In My Shoes *Parents Only*
Oct 22 & 24: Student-Parent-Teacher Conferences
Feb 19 & 20: Student-Parent-Teacher Conferences
Student-Parent Conferences – Celebration of Learning
Tues, Oct 22 & Thurs, Oct 24
3:30p-7:30p both nights
CONFERENCE SIGN-UP INFORMATION
Please see the following link to schedule your child’s conference. Feel free to contact either Teresa or Michele at 987-3222 if you are having any problems or need assistance. Thank you!
CLICK here for the link
The password is smswarriors
Sign up by choosing your child’s Advisory teacher!
The time you choose will be your arrival time and the time you will start in the pod visiting your child’s color team teachers. After visiting the pod teachers, you will move to visiting elective and support teachers.
Canyon Creek recommends parents using CHROME or FIREFOX browsers.
The site will OPEN Monday, October 7 at 8:00am.
Why sign up and attend with your child(ren)?
- See what your child(ren) has been doing in each of their classes.
- Have an opportunity for a short (1-3 minutes) with your child(ren)’s teacher(s).
- Engage in some of the learning activities or experiences your child(ren) has had so far.
To learn more about the night Click here
We would love to have our SMS families help provide a meal for our teachers during the two conference nights. How can you help? Sign-up by clicking here!Thank you for helping out with the meals and snacks. Our staff is VERY appreciative of the donations and time you put into this week.
!!! DIRECTIONS AND PASSWORD ARE BELOW – PLEASE READ CAREFULLY !!!
Registering your Parent Night time
To give greater flexibility in scheduling, South Middle School continues to make scheduling available via the web. Starting Monday, October 7, you will have the opportunity to access our calendar and pick an available time that best fits your schedule.
If you do not have access to internet access at home or work, the school welcomes you to use one of our computers. Also, you can use a computer at the community library or our district office located at 560 Southeast University Avenue.
The following simple instructions are necessary to help you select an available time and create an appointment.
STUDENT-PARENT CONFERENCES: STRUCTURE AND PROCESS
Tips that will help the evening go well for you and your child…
- focus on learning, not behavior.
- focus on the learning process, not simply product.
- encourage students to reflect on their current proficiency.
- support students in determining their “next steps” for improvement.
- students will share artifacts to demonstrate progress toward learning targets.
Take time to familiarize yourself with the process for conferences. The goal of your time is to celebrate and for your child to share growth and progress toward current learning targets.
Process for the evening…
- Upon entering the building, Student Ambassadors will be greet your and make sure you know where you and your child find their Advisory teacher first.
- All elective teachers will be in their regular classrooms unless your child let’s you know otherwise. All core (math, science, social studies, language arts) will be available in the pod.
If you wish for a more private, extended conversation or were unable to meet with a particular teacher, we recommend you request that a teacher contact you for a phone or in person conference.
We value your involvement and look forward to spending this time with you and your child!
Parent Night #1 – Walk In My Child’s Shoes
Thursday, Sep 5, 2019
3:30p-5:15p OR 5:45p-7:30p
Why should you attend?
- Laid back night where you get the opportunity to meet all of your child(ren)’s teachers.
- Learn a little more about each class.
- Connect with other parents who have children in your child’s classroom.
- Get the opportunity to walk (or run at times!) your child’s entire schedule, including passing periods and tardy bells!
How do I sign up?
- Easy! Just click here to sign up for your time!
What do I do when I get there?
- Parents/guardians will begin in your child’s Advisory classroom and pick up your child’s schedule and a name tag. Then it is off to your 1st period class! Put those walking shoes on and get ready to learn about your child’s day, meet the teachers, get to know the other families in your child’s classroom and walk through an entire day of your child in 90 minutes.
What else do I need to know?
- You will get a reminder email shortly before the event.
- We would LOVE to provide our teachers with a meal between sessions. If you would be willing and able to donate some food items, please click here to see what we need. Thank you!
What is the schedule for our time look like?
Depending on which session you attend, your time in each period/classroom is as follows: